In honor of Earth Day 2021, I embarked on a special project for my kodomo kiddos to incorporate the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. If 2020 brought anything, it was a plethora of cardboard boxes (thanks Amazon!) and bottle caps…..don’t ask. But this meant an opportunity for multicultural learning and instrument-making. The results were delightful and well worth the hoarding!
Things you’ll need:
Cardboard (cut into strips approx. 1.5″ x 4″)
- Glue Gun (used with adult supervision)
- Bottle Caps
- Paint Pens (optional)
- Paint the tops of the bottle caps as desired. I chose to try my hand at drawing the earth! Allow to dry.
- Cut cardboard into strips (approx. 1.5″ wide by 4″ long).
- Preheat glue gun. Apply glue to the outside rim of the bottle cap. Be careful not to burn your fingers!
- Press bottle cap (and glue) onto either end of the cardboard strips. Allow to cool.
- When glue is dry, bend cardboard strips in half so that the bottle caps touch.
- Turn on your favorite music and add that feisty percussion!
Happy Earth Day, y’all!